Friday, August 27, 2010

Comments on Blog Postings to be reviewed

This morning, I have enabled my Comment Moderation option.  Most media websites (WL Tribune, CBC, Vancouver Sun & Province) have this type of option enabled on their on-line stories

I had hoped not to go down this road however with regard to my blog post on the City of WL CAO yesterday, 1 comment was more personal then what I would consider "fair criticism".  The 2 remaining comments on it are what I like to call "fair game" however the first one was not

I would note that when I blogged on the situation at Columneetza Secondary on anti-homophobia events, the 5 different comments on that blog post were respectful and polite, even when the criticism was leveled at me personally

If comments I receive to my blog posts are fair game (polite in criticizing the blog poster), then I will consider removing the comment moderation.  I can tolerate fair and justified criticisms towards myself and others but I will now review comments on blog entries to ensure it doesn't go too far before I agree to post them

A democratic society requires a free flow on debate on matters but that debate must also be civilized and that it not be too personalized.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this not somewhat like the RCMP investgating themselves and expecting a fair outcome?

You have chosen to publicize your opinions in a public place, and VERY often these opinions are critical of others, and often without the full facts, yet you now reserve the right to moderate others criticism of yourself or that opinion.

Hypocritical doesn't even begin to descibe this move.

Feel free to "moderate" this should you need to.

Anonymous said...

I guess its a good reminder that theres only so much abuss and misguided criticism people will take about respected and hard working persons in Williams Lake where your soapbox comments will come back to bite you. Maybe its a lesson for thinking that your above anyone else because you file a T4.

Steve Forseth said...

Thanks for your comments...

But I'd point that it is not hypocritical to ensure that criticism of either myself or others doesn't lend itself to being "libel" or "slander" in nature

As well - columnists & bloggers have been and probably will be constantly accused of not having "all the facts". I would note that earlier this year when I critiqued the Community Arts Council of Williams Lake - the Treasurer of that organization (Susan O'Sullivan) was "brave" enough to use her own name to call me out on how I critiqued her organization.

Finally - if the 2nd comment was referring to "Williams Lake City Council & Staff" - I would point that if you run & get elected for political office (Mayor/Councillor) or Staff, that really doesn't give you a "by" to not get criticized by others (bloggers, letters to the editor). And yes, if I run for political office next fall and win - I fully expect that there will be those who will want to pick up on my weaknesses and criticize me for those and I'm fully prepared to address those critiques when and if they come