Present: Mayor W. Cobb; Councillors I. Bonnell, S. Nelson, J. Ryll, C. Smith, L. Walters and S. Zacharias
Meeting called to order at 6pm
Meeting Agenda adopted/Mins of the Nov 8th meeting of WL Council adopted
1) Council received for information the accounts payable computer cheque listings dated November 10, 17 and 18, 2016
2) Council approved associated costs for Mayor Cobb to attend the 2016 Chief Elected Officials Forum hosted by the Local Government Leadership Academy in Vancouver, BC on December 6 and 7, 2016
3) Council agreed to support the Seeding Start-Ups Pilot Project by providing a $5,000 contribution to the program from the 2017 economic development budget and approve submission of a request to Community Futures Cariboo Chilcotin for a contribution of $2,500 to the Seeding Start-Ups Pilot Project.
4) Council adopted a number of recommendations from its' General Governance Committee as follows:
a) That pursuant to General Governance Committee Report #05-2016 and the report of the Director of Development Services dated October 13, 2016, Staff be requested to develop a street and city property encroachment policy for consideration by Council.
b) That pursuant to General Governance Committee Report #06-2016 and the report of the Director of Development Services dated October 25, 2016, Council support the following actions:
Request BC Transit upgrade of the Williams Lake Transit fleet to the 30 foot light duty bus, with delivery scheduled in the year 2018;
Support the proposed Standardized Lease Fees, and inquire to BC Transit about the premium for three new buses;
Make application to Public Transit Infrastructure Fund to support an implementation strategy for installing the “iNextBus” software in upgraded transit fleet;
Support application(s) by BC Transit to Public Transit Infrastructure Fund for expansion of service frequency along Route 1 in the afternoon peak hours; and for an upgraded fleet;
Support the request for increased HandyDART service and bring the request forward to the attention of transit partners and report back to Council with any similar requests heard in the consultation process;
Investigate and report back to the General Governance Committee as to the advertising on buses and the potential for revenue.
c) That pursuant to General Governance Committee Report #07-2016, the report of the Director of Development Services dated October 27, 2016 regarding property revitalization tax exemptions be received and Staff be instructed to prepare an evaluation of the program and a comparison with other northern communities and report back to Council.
d) That pursuant to General Governance Committee Report #08-2016, the report of the Director of Development Services and the Director of Community Services dated October 27, 2016 regarding the River Valley Partnership Agreement be received and Council approve an extension to the River Valley Partnership Agreement for a further ten years, under the new proposed terms, with the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources.
5) Council authorized Staff to enter into a contract with O-Netrix Solutions to supply new Wireless interconnects and network switches for a total of $8,158.00.
6) Council approved an application to the Federal / Provincial Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (CWWF) Program in support of a Community Water Management Strategy, with funding from the City of Williams Lake in the amount of $34,000 as provided in the 2016 approved Financial Plan;
Council also approved an application to the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (CWWF) Program in support of the River Valley Storm Drainage, Phase 4, with funding from the City of Williams Lake in the amount of $92,167 as provided in the 2016 approved Financial Plan and Council agreed to allocate an additional $14,600 reserve in the 2017 Financial Plan for Storm Drainage Phase 4, in either year 2017 or 2018.
7) Council adopted a Committee of the Whole recommendation as follows:
a) That pursuant to Committee of Whole Council Report #39-2016, the report of the Director of Municipal Services dated November 1, 2016 and the petition dated October 4, 2016 from the Boitanio Street / Haddock Avenue / Mellish Avenue neighbourhood regarding the resident deer issue be received, and Staff be directed to explore partnerships and funding opportunities to develop an education program for residents on “deer proofing” their properties and report back to Council.
8) Council gave approval for the Santa Claus Parade (being held during the Winter Lights Festival taking place Friday, December 2nd through Sunday, December 4th) on Saturday, December 3rd, 2016 at 11:00 AM
9) Council agreed to waive the janitorial service fee for the Williams Lake Community Band's use of the Council Chambers on the evening of Friday, December 9, 2016 for their annual Christmas concert
10) Council received a letter from the BC Medal of Good Citizenship Selection Committee in regards to the Call for Nominations for the British Columbia's Medal of Good Citizenship
11) Late Item - Council agreed to support the participation in two Destination BC Community Consortium applications with a financial commitment of $7000 in total: $5000 to Cariboo Calling and $2000 to the Cariboo/Chilcotin/Coast consortium and approve the City of Williams Lake to be the lead applicant for either or both applications, if required.
12) Late Item - Council deferred consideration of approving $6,000 from the Economic Development 2016 budget to develop an Economic Development microsite until a Request for Proposals process is completed locally. Council divided. Approved by the following Vote:
Affirmative - Mayor Cobb; Councillors Bonnell, Nelson, Smith, Ryll and Walters
Negative - Councillor S. Zacharias
13) Council received the 'Council Information Package' as follows:
• November 4, 2016 - CRD Board Highlights.
Members of Council provided oral reports on their recent activities
Meeting adjourned at 7:05pm and after a 5 minute break, Council resumed their In-Camera Meeting