Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mayor Cook vs Councillor Rathor

At tonight's Council Meeting (June 22nd), Councillor Rathor asked Council to amend the already approved Minutes from June 8th as follows:

RES #238/10
Moved by Councillor Zacharias
Seconded by Councillor Bourdon
That the meeting be closed pursuant to Section 90(1)(L).

Councillor Rathor wanted to add " of the Community Charter" after (L). However, Mayor Cook ruled this motion out of order as Council had already dealt with the minutes at the beginning of the meeting. I believe Mayor Cook made a improper ruling as, in my opinion, it is always in order to return to a item that Council had previously considered at the same meeting.

However, after that, Mayor Cook stated that a notation in the minutes, as per Councillor Rathor's request would be done. However, you can't amend your minutes without formal approval and shame on Mayor Cook for doing it without Council approval

Mayor Cook should apologize to Councillor Rathor for treating him so poorly on the minutes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sit Steve, sit. Roll over Steve, good boy.

Steve Forseth said...

Thanks for the "cheeky" comment, but you should know that I didn't talk with Councillor Rathor about this but I called it the way I saw it in Council Chambers

After all, I have some experience chairing both the City's Planning Advisory Committee and the Cariboo Regional District's Area D Planning Advisory Committee. And yes, I've had to make rulings on whether or not to return to previously considered items and I have allowed the Committees to revisit those items