Thursday, November 4, 2021

Williams Lake Mayor removes himself from all external appointments of the City of Williams Lake

Courtesy of the City of Williams Lake:

Following City of Williams Lake Council’s response at its Regular Meeting of November 2, 2021 to correspondence from Williams Lake First Nation Chief Willie Sellars critical of a social media post shared by Mayor Walt Cobb titled ‘Residential schools – the other side of the story,” and a presentation from residential school survivor and advocate Charlene Belleau, 

Williams Lake Mayor Walt Cobb has shared the following statement:

“After much reflection and additional discussion with Council, once again I take full responsibility for my actions and accept the negative impact they have had. I have made the decision to remove myself from all external City of Williams Lake appointments, including the Cariboo Regional District Board and the City’s appointment to the Chamber of Commerce, Williams Lake Downtown Business Improvement Association and the Cariboo-Chilcotin/Lillooet Regional Advisory Committee, effective immediately to allow myself to reflect on the current situation. After a meeting with members of Council, new Council appointments will be made to those positions.

“It is not my intent to step down as Mayor. I will continue to serve my community as I was elected to do and will work hard for the betterment of our entire community. The City continues to promote investment, development, and opportunity, and will continue its good work. There are many important projects underway that we will continue to make progress on.”


No comments: