The Cariboo Regional District has activated its Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) to respond to flooding issues in the region. There are several areas in the Cariboo currently experiencing high stream flows and flooding.
The CRD is available to provide assistance related to flooding issues:
- If you are experiencing flooding issues that affect your home or business, please contact the CRD.
- Sandbags are available through the EOC, if needed. Learn more about proper sandbagging techniques: bit.ly/2FldNd1
- If your access is cut-off due to flooding, please shelter in place, which means you should stay where you are and stay safe. Contact the CRD if you need assistance.
People living near a river or stream can take some precautions to reduce the risk associated with a flood.
- Prepare personal emergency supply kits for your home, car and work (plan for at least a three-day supply of food and water for each family member)
- Have a grab-and-go kit ready if you have to leave your home quickly
- Keep important papers in watertight containers and have a record of your valuables in a safe place
- If flooding is likely in your area, pay attention to the local media for information
- Watch for warning signs: increase in height and intensity of water flows, mudslides, debris in creeks, colour changes in water or leaning trees
- Know that banks of rivers and streams may be unstable and dangerous
- Keep a safe distance away from fast flowing water, especially children
- Teach your children about flood safety
- Consider arrangements for your pets and any livestock
- CRD Website
- CRD Emergency Operations Facebook Page
- Prepared BC – Disaster Readiness Information
- Government of BC – Flood Hazard Information
- BC River Forecast Centre – Snow Conditions and Water Supply Bulletin
- Sandbagging – General Information
Residents are strongly encouraged to register for the Cariboo Chilcotin Emergency Notification System to receive a text, call or email regarding Evacuation Alerts and Orders or other emergency updates: