The evacuation order for the Nazko Valley remains in place. However, with the risk of flooding decreasing in the area, so CRD is currently working through the re-entry process.
Before the evacuation order can be lifted, the CRD follows a re-entry process to make sure the area is safe for people to return. The following must be considered:
- Reduced flooding danger
- Damage assessments
- Roads safe
- Emergency services available
- Public utilities established, if applicable
- Re-entry support services established
We are also working to coordinate a public meeting so that residents can get information directly from support agencies when they return home.
The CRD’s two evacuation orders for the Nazko area impact about 120 properties:
- Evacuation Order – Nazko Area – April 29 @ 12 p.m.
- Evacuation Order – Upper Nazko Area – April 29 @ 7 p.m.
The Quesnel Emergency Support Services (ESS) reception centre, located in the Quesnel Recreation Centre at 500 North Star Road, remains open daily from 10am-4pm.
Disaster Financial Assistance
Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) is available for Cariboo Regional District residents impacted by the recent flooding. Home owners, residential tenants, small business owners, farmers, charitable organizations and local government bodies who were unable to obtain insurance to cover disaster-related losses are eligible. Applications for DFA must be submitted by Aug. 1, 2018.
- Factsheet about the DFA program: https://bit.ly/2KDGzJW
- DFA Website: www.gov.bc.ca/disasterfinancialassistance
- DFA Forms: https://bit.ly/2JSAeZP
- DFA Contact Number: 1-888-257-4777
The CRD’s EOC is providing sandbags to residents as needed. It is the homeowner's responsibility to undertake temporary and permanent flood protection works to protect their home and property. If you need sandbags, contact the EOC. Learn more about proper sandbagging techniques: bit.ly/2FldNd1
Residents are strongly encouraged to register for the Cariboo Chilcotin Emergency Notification System to receive a text, call or email regarding Evacuation Alerts and Orders or other emergency updates: member.everbridge.net/index/453003085612292#/signup
For more information:
- CRD Public Phone Line: 1-866-759-4977 (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
- Provincial Emergency Reporting Line: 1-800-663-3456 (after-hours emergencies)
- CRD Website – Emergency Operations Centre
- CRD Website – Emergency Preparedness
- CRD Emergency Operations Facebook Page
- Drive BC – Road Closures and Updates (click on the BC Flooding button)
- Rural Road Conditions
- Resource Road Conditions