On Tuesday, May 8, the Cariboo Regional District downgraded both evacuation orders for the Nazko area to an evacuation alert, which meant residents were allowed to return to the area.
The area remains on evacuation alert. On May 9, the BC River Forecast Centredowngraded the Nazko and Blackwater (West Road) Rivers from a flood warning to a flood watch.
Information Meeting Held in Nazko on May 9
The CRD and Nazko First Nation held an information meeting for Nazko residents Wednesday evening. At the meeting, the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resources and Rural Development’s (FLNRORD) Water Stewardship department explained that the majority of the low to mid-level snow packs in the Nazko watershed have melted, which means the flood risk is lowering.
FLNRORD’s Quesnel Natural Resource District, Ministry of Transportation and Emcon staff described the condition of the roads in the Nazko area. FLNRO is responsible for resource roads; the Ministry of Transportation is responsible for main rural roads and contracts Emcon to conduct maintenance in the Quesnel district.
- Drive BC – Road Closures and Updates: www.drivebc.ca
- Rural Road Conditions: https://www.tranbc.ca/current-travel-advisories/
- Resource Road Conditions: www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/local-road-safety-information
Disaster Financial Assistance, Red Cross and First Nations Emergency Services Society provided updates as well about their services and supports. Other representatives from Emergency Management BC, Samaritan’s Purse and Northern Health were also there to answer questions.
Re-Entry & Recovery Information
We have drafted a short handout summarizing the re-entry and recovery support resources that are available for Nazko residents. Read the document on our website.
- CRD Public Phone Line: 1-866-759-4977 (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
- CRD Recovery Contact: 1-866-759-4977 (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. weekdays); firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provincial Emergency Reporting Line: 1-800-663-3456 (after-hours emergencies)
- CRD Website – Emergency Operations Centre
- CRD Website – Emergency Preparedness
- CRD Emergency Operations Facebook Page
- Drive BC – Road Closures and Updates (click on the BC Flooding button)
- Rural Road Conditions
- Resource Road Conditions