Friday, November 18, 2011

My Voting Choices... WL Mayor/Council, SD#27 - Zone 6 and Fluoride Question

On Wednesday... I selected my choices for Mayor and Council - City of Williams Lake, School District #27 and the Fluoride Question as follows (given I'm a candidate and was advised to vote early by the City of WL's Chief Election Officer):

Mayor and Council - Williams Lake:

Mayor - Scott Nelson
Councillors - Mike Bouchard, Steve Forseth, Mike Jacobsen, Paul Kandola, Surinderpal Rathor, and Richard Vollo

School District #27 - Zone 6

1) Dr. Doug Neufeld

Fluoride Referendum:

The cost to add fluoride to the City’s water system is increasing from $22,000 per year to approximately $94,000 per year. Are you in favour of the City continuing to add fluoride to its water supply? - No

Rationale for Above:

WL Mayor - For years now, my blog readers' know that I've been a vocal opponent of Mayor Cook and should come as no surprise that I would not vote for her.  As Walt Cobb - while there are aspects of his platform that I like (zero based budgeting), his frank talk with regard to First Nations' was the deal breaker for me.. he is not the type of Mayor we need right now which left me with no alternative but Scott Nelson.  Although there will be times when Mr. Nelson and I will disagree - on balance, I'm comfortable with his leadership style and his overall platform and hence my personal decision to vote for Scott Nelson and I humbly request that those who voted for me to please for vote for Scott Nelson on Saturday

As for WL Councillors - Mssrs. Bouchard, Jacobsen, Kandola, Rathor and Vollo - I've met all these gentlemen personally, one on one, and I'm comfortable that all bring a unique skill set to the table to benefit the community overall and I present these names for the voters' most favourable consideration.  The rest I do not believe are ready to be at the table and the incumbents (Walters, Zacharias and Bourdon) deserve defeat as I don't believe their record demonstrates re-election

School District #27 - I believe the time for new blood is required and Rob Zacharias had his shot in 2005-2008 and didn't do much for the people of Zone 6 on the School Board and Mr. Neufeld is worthy of a try and Mr. Neufeld's wide/varied experiences leads me to believe that he is the best choice for School District #27 - Zone 6 Trustee

Fluoride Question - I voted No as I find the question misleading.  It is "intellectually dishonest" to suggest that you are doing something (add fluoride to City's water system) when in fact you are not.  The more appropriate question should have been - Given fluoride has not been added to the City's water since 2005, should the City continue to put fluoride in the water system, even at a cost of $94,000 per year?.  Finally - given that only 8 communities, in fact, place fluoride (an acid) in their local water system, it is time, in my opinion, to close the chapter on this story and vote NO and I encourage all to do the same

3 comments:

Jim said...

That would be a NIGHTMARE City Council. Good thing it won't end up anything like that.
The fact you actually think only one incumbent will get back in cracks me up.
Now my unbaised view (I live outside the City limits)- All incumbents (including the mayor) will get back in. I really have no idea who the two new Councilors will end up being but one will be a moderate Cook supporter and likely one will be a Nelson supporter who will be left to team up with Rathor but won't be able to push their agenda with only two votes.

Anonymous said...

I pray you're right.

Jim said...

I love it when I'm exactly right!!

Just goes to show what negative campaigning accomplishes!

Congratulations to the candidates who took the high road, and the rest reap what they sow.