Thursday, December 3, 2020

Former #CaribooRD Area I Director (1996-2008) Mary Glassford passes away

 

Former #CaribooRD Area I Director (1996-2008)
Mary Glassford 


Earlier this week -- the Cariboo-Chilcotin Region lost one of its' great champions...

Mary Glassford -- a Quesnel City Councillor in the 1980's and early 1990's and also the Cariboo Regional District's Electoral Area "I" Director (West Fraser - Nazko) from 1996-2008, passed away

Among her many accomplishments included leading the charge for the Multi-Centre in Quesnel which ultimately led to the West Fraser Centre being built instead. Also - pushing for a CT Scanner being installed at the GR Baker Hospital as well as getting the North Cariboo Community Campus constructed. In addition, she served as Vice-Chair of the local Regional Hospital District and on many #CaribooRD Board Committees 

Current #CaribooRD Area G Director (and CCRHD Vice-Chair) Al Richmond remembers her accomplishments here.  In addition - ?Esdilagh (Alexandria) First Nation provided her with a warm thank you on behalf of Chief/Council for her time in office as the #CaribooRD Area I Director from 1996-08 which you can read here

For myself -- I got to know her at #CaribooRD Board Meetings from 2004-2008 and upon my own election as the #CaribooRD Area D Director in November 2014, we remained in contact via Facebook and she often shared her wisdom in elected life with myself.  She was always very passionate about responsible resource development, like current Williams Lake Mayor Walt Cobb, as she felt strongly that responsible resource development projects would help to pay for things like hospitals, social programs, road projects, etc... and I was always inspired by her fortitude when it came to speaking for Electoral Area "I", even when I knew, only she could get away with being blunt with her fellow locally elected officials.  

I will miss Mary very much and my condolences, thoughts and prayers to my current #CaribooRD Area I colleague, Jim Glassford and the entire Glassford family and Mary's friends in the North Cariboo and throughout BC Local Government on her passing... she will be sorely missed.... 

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments: