Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Meeting with Brian Carruthers (City of WL CAO)

At 10:00am today - I had roughly a 45 min meeting with Brian Carruthers (City of WL CAO) to discuss several matters.  While we did not agree on everything we discussed, at the end of the day, we had a polite, thoughtful and good discussion on City issues

I intend to try to have monthly meetings with him to discuss City operational issues or other concerns involving the City and I would strongly encourage anyone in the City of Williams Lake who has a concern(s) about City Hall or City Operations to ask for a meeting with Mr. Carruthers or send him an email.  He has a "open door" policy to discuss any issue(s) with the public.  You'll find him to be open to your concern(s) and to offer constructive advice to your concern(s).  If your concern(s) is something that the City can take up - he'll give you a commitment to look into it and if your concern(s) can not be addressed by the City - he will tell you upfront why the City can not deal with your complaint and who is best positioned to deal with your issue(s)

SBF

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,
I have to say I am somewhat disappointed by this blog. It seems to me that you fell victim to a slick spin master.
Don't you find it funny that the very same man that yelled at you at City Hall this summer and humiliated you and himself, the very same man who in the past answers your questions with " I will take it under advisement"..then doesn't is all of a sudden calling on you to spread the word as to what an amazingly understanding guy he is.

You of all people should recognize this for what it is...a way to rally the troops to his side.
I do not know what went on with the CAO and the ex Director of Finance. I do however still have a very bad taste in my mouth from the FireHall incident when at the offset Mr. Caruthers said he didn't want to cast blame then one week later when he had time to "fix" things he came right out and blamed the contractor...who I might add was not there to defend their position.
Be true to your principles Steve...do not fall pray to pretty or well delivered propoganda. You do this because you care..if you keep jumping back and forth you will not receive anyones respect and your blog will become less effective.
Again think of the timing of your meeting with Mr. Carruthers...seems weird doesn't?

Steve Forseth said...

Thanks for your comment and you're right to call me out. See my latest blog post today (Friday, March 4th) re: former City of WL Finance Director Candie Laporte

Anonymous said...

On the other hand Mr. Carruthers could be a dedicated employee doing the best he can for the community as is possible within the constraints of an imperfect political system. It could be that simple! He might really care and want to make things better!
It drives me nuts when people really beleive folks at City Hall sit behind closed doors and plot against the taxpayer when in reality the huge majority work their butts off to do everything they can to deliver the best service they can within the boundaries of their positions.
I know Mr. Carruthers and I can assure you he is anything but a "slick spin-master"..it's sad really that someone who cares so much about this community can be judged so harshly without facts.
I'm very glad I don't work in government as you are hog tied by the political process and nothing you do is ever good enough for some folks.