Also Present - WL Mayoral Candidates John Bjornstrom, Walt Cobb, Kerry Cook and Surinderpal Rathor. CRD Area D Director candidates Steve Forseth/Pennie Daffurn. School District #27 Zone 5 Trustee candidates Deb Bischoff/Sheila Boehm & Outgoing School District #27 Zone 4 Trustee Jackie Austin
Public: Roughly 100
Forum started at 6:01pm
Opening Comments by WL Chamber of Commerce Acting President Angela Sommer including reading a statement from WL City Councillor candidate Marnie Brenner who was absent due to a death in her family. Moderator John Hack explained how the forum will be conducted
30 second opening statements from the 11 Candidates
1) All Candidates - Give an example of Management experience with a diverse group
2) All Candidates - What values would you bring to WL Council, would not comprise on and would be willing to be accountable for?
3) To Laurie Walters - How do we attract skilled labour to Williams Lake?
4) To Bobbie-Jo Macnair - Name some practical steps to improving the economy of Williams Lake
5) To Tovi Pare - Name steps to engaging the public on Council decisions on Economic Development and Affordable Housing
6) To Wayne Lucier - Name steps to encouraging business to come to Williams Lake?
7) To Craig Smith - Name steps to ensure municipal fees/charges are equivalent to similiar sized communities in BC
8) To Sue Zacharias - Name steps that we can take to have a vibrant downtown core?
9) To Ivan Bonnell - Name benefits to attending out of town conferences, like UBCM, and would you agree to report out at a Council Meeting explaining what took place
10) To Peter Bowman - Explain your views on City taxation
11) To Sue Lachance - Do you agree with the BC Chamber's views on the Corporate Vote?
12) To Scott Nelson - How do you engage the public around City taxes and utility fees?
13) To Jason Ryll - Long Term Debt - should we have it?
The forum recessed at 7:02pm
The forum resumed at 7:24pm
14) To Jason Ryll - Name ways to improve access to Williams Lake?
15) To Tovi Pare - How do we achieve environmental sustainability?
16) To Wayne Lucier - How do we balance social needs with Economic Development?
17) To Peter Bowman - Do you support expansion of Bike/Walking Trails?
18) To Sue Zacharias - Do you support the Pool Referendum (borrow up to $10 milllion for renovate the Sam Ketchum Pool, etc)
19) To Sue Lachance - How do we deal with property crime?
20) To Bobbie-Jo Macnair - How do we go about making transportation more affordable?
21) To Craig Smith - How do you propose to cut 'red tape' at Williams Lake City Hall?
22) To Scott Nelson - Name one step to reduce property crime?
23) To Laurie Walters - How do we improve affordable housing, especially for current and new residents
24) To Ivan Bonnell - Do you support the continuance of the "Water Wise" program, as currently run by the WL Conservation Society?
25) To All Candidates - Name your top 3 priorities, if elected?
2 Minute Closing Statements by Candidates
Closing comments from Angela Sommer (WL Chamber of Commerce Acting President)
Forum adjourned at 8:27pm
Editor's Note - Overall, the forum was a polite affair but it allowed me personally to firm up my 6 votes for Williams Lake City Councillor. Next up, Tuesday from 11:45am - 1:30pm, the 4 candidates for WL Mayor will get their chance to explain their vision to the voters of Williams Lake
I personally was impressed with the performance of Bobbie-Jo Macnair, Tovi Pare and Sue Lachance...
Interesting that Sue Zacharias was the only candidate to express outright support for WL Mayoral Candidate (and current WL Mayor) Kerry Cook...