Saturday, June 18, 2011

Local Political News - June 18th edition

In Quesnel - the running saga over who is fiscally responsible with Quesnel taxpayers' money continues with Councillor Sushil Thapar accusing Quesnel Mayor Mary Sjostrom and Quesnel City Manager John Stecyk of spending $3,000 on a lawyer for a $262 FOI (Freedom of Information) Bill recently handed to (and revoked) Councillor Thapar.  He called the $3,000 lawyer fee "ridiculous".  At this point - Mayor Sjostrom or Mr. Stecyk have not commented on this story, but I imagine that Mayor Sjostrom is just at her limits, as far as Councillor Thapar's antics

Meanwhile in Williams Lake (from the Rush):

Walt Cobb’s decision to run for Mayor of Williams Lake has elicited the reaction of some City Councilors.


Sue Zacharias had this to say - “As much as I like Walt and I respect what he’s doing and I respect the fact he’s a past Mayor and MLA, I emphasize that is in the past.”


Zacharias says she’ll be throwing her support behind current Mayor Kerry Cook who she calls a great collaborater.


Councilor Laurie Walters has reacted to Cobb’s assertion there’s a lack of experience on Council.


“I don’t find it offensive. I mean everyone’s entitled to their own opinions, for me I know what I’ve contributed. I’ve been in this community for over 35 years. And yes, the first few years on council there’s been a tremendous learning curve.”


Surinderpal Rathor says “I’m glad Walt is running. Walt has as much a right as anyone else to put their name forward.”


Rathor says he plans to run in November but hasn’t decided if it’ll be for Councilor or Mayor but confirms he's heard rumours of a 3rd "High Profile" candidate for the race to become Mayor of Williams Lake for the 2011-2014 Term but wouldn't confirm the name

No comments: