Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Quesnel Council Highlights - Special Sept 20th Meeting

Project ahead of schedule

City Council received an update on the St. Laurent Revitalization project, which is about two weeks ahead of the original schedule. The contractor expects to pave the street on Sunday, Sept. 25. This will leave the project about 95 per cent complete, with the only work remaining including line painting, light pole installation and correcting any deficiencies. The project has seen: complete replacement of the storm water system; new paving, curb, gutters and sidewalks; and extensive landscaping improvements. The $1 million project was funded through the Quesnel Works: Capital Reinvestment Program.

Fees bylaw moves ahead

Council gave first three readings to its Comprehensive Fees and Charges bylaw. This "Master Fee" bylaw was put in place in 2010, allowing the City to update and amend fees and charges in one process. The City's Five Year Financial Plan includes a policy to move towards usage-based funding, when appropriate, as opposed to always relying on taxation. Based on this, Council approved several fee increases, including: a five per cent increase to water and sewer rates ($16.72 per year, per household); a two per cent increase to airport fees (not including passenger fees); and some minor changes to some building inspection and development charges. The bylaw will receive final reading in October. Council will also look at the fees it charges at the landfill, but a separate bylaw process will happen for that area.

Dog Park location gets approval

City Council gave approval for a dog park to be located at the Old Soccer Fields on Sword Avenue, the preferred location for both the park's proponents and the City. The location is centrally located and under-utilized. The space can be used without negatively affecting other field users.  The Dog Park will be located in the North West corner of the fields, near the parking lot. The park's proponents will be responsible for paying all expenses related to the establishment of the park, including fencing and signs.

Air Quality champion recognized

The long-time chairperson of the Quesnel Air Quality Roundtable, Dora McMillan, was thanked for her 16 years of volunteerism to promote better air quality. McMillan has retired  to allow, in her words, someone with new blood and fresh ideas to come forward.

Other news

Quesnel and District Leisure Services will apply to the Enabling Accessibility Fund Small Project Component to improve the accessibility in the men's change room and the Arts Centre washrooms at the Quesnel and District Arts and Recreation Centre. The grant, if approved, would fund 75% of the total cost ($24,217) not including taxes. The North Cariboo Recreation and Parks budget would fund the remaining 25% and the HST ($8,650).

Barb Lewis, the woman behind the friendly voice answering calls to the Public Works and Engineering department, is retiring after 19 years of service. Lewis was thanked by Council for her dedication and commitment to the City of Quesnel.


Right to Know week - Sept. 26 to 30
Community Living Month - October

Foster Family Appreciation month - October 
Child Development Week - Oct. 24 to 29
 Restorative Justice Week - Nov. 13 to 20 

Important Dates

Sept. 23 - City of Quesnel Emergency Training Scenario - 9 a.m. to noon at the top of Dragon Lake Hill.
Oct. 7 - Zombie Walk - 3 p.m. departure from Baker Creek Park - GR Baker Memorial Hospital fundraiser.
Oct. 8 - 39th Annual Quesnel Tillicum Society Powwow - 1 p.m. at the Quesnel Native Friendship Centre.

Future Meetings:

Next North Cariboo Joint Planning Committee Meeting: Tuesday September 20 - 5:30 p.m.
Next Delegation Meeting:  Monday October 3, 7 p.m.
Next Committee of the Whole Meeting: Monday October 17, 7 p.m.
Next Regular Council Meeting:  Monday October 24, 7 p.m.

No comments: